Everyday Life Series
How often do you schedule time with yourself?
Time to breathe. Time to just be. Time to think with no expectations or goals.
Just you – no music, no podcast, no kids, no spouse, no colleagues – just you.
I challenge you to schedule whitespace in your calendar WEEKLY.
Start small – just 15 minutes this week. Work your way up to a full hour.
Schedule the time and keep your commitment.
Then sit somewhere quiet and just be.
This is not the same as simple meditation (which I also highly recommend). My “whitespace practice” is slightly different.
- Take a 10-minute meditation walk: as you walk focus on your breathing; if your mind starts to wander, bring your thoughts back to your breath.
- Immediately after the walk (do not talk to anyone), sit down
- Have a blank pad of paper and a pen(NO ELECTRONICS – you don’t need that temptation to check your email or social media)
- Empty your brain of ANY thought you have: to-do items, project plans, creative ideas.
- DO NOT judge your thoughts, just get them out. (You can organize your thoughts later)
You will be surprised how many creative ideas you can set free by freeing your mind.
I have gotten away from this practice lately, and as I am reminding myself to get back to making it a priority – I thought all of you might benefit as well!
Everyday Life Series consists of short, daily lessons and stories from my life.